12.16.2013

From the heart, part 4




Once again...Monday...
and the countdown to Christmas continues...

Here's another Simple 6 project...another tutorial in my ongoing series...where I provide inspiration and information to make simple gifts to give this holiday season...because the best gifts are made by hand and given from the heart...









Today I start with metal bookends...these I snagged from the Southern Man's library...

They will be the basis for a simple easel to display a favorite photo...or a special holiday card...or a menu on a buffet table...or reminder notes on your desk...or whatever other purpose you can imagine...this project is very versatile!

Since the bookends are steel, all you need is a magnet to hold a photo in place...I'm going to make mine from covered buttons...




Covered button kits are common at sewing/craft stores...
I often find partial packets at yard sales...

I snapped the metal shank off of the back of the button assembly so that the back will be flat and flush to glue a small magnet...








I gathered up a selection of complementary fabric scraps...lighter weight fabrics worked best for making these covered buttons...






















Buttons complete...
flip them over and glue on a magnet...
















Add a holiday memory...





































or highlight the joy of the season...






































Need more last minute, quick inspiration...check out the first three tutorials in my Simple 6 series...

from composition notebooks to art journals

from old socks and recycled jars to holiday candles

from lone handkerchiefs to fragrant sachets

worth a look...

Related Posts with Thumbnails