12.16.2011

Wrap it up



On the downhill slide to christmas...
the decorations are up,
the presents are ready,
the dinner is planned...all that's left is the wrapping!
People usually fall into two caterories in this circumstance...
wrappers or non-wrappers...
and there's just no way around it...
either you like to wrap or you don't!










Keeping with my holiday theme of using what I already had, I extended this idea to my wrapping as well.  Several elements that I used in earlier projects, popped up here again...here's a quartet of ideas for you...




































#1 - sheet from wallpaper sample book + "ribbon" made from striped vintage fabric.
Expired wallpaper books are ususally free for the asking at paint/decor stores...the paper is extremely durable and ideal for wrapping small gifts.  Fabric ribbon is all the rage...make your own by tearing strips of fabric...cotton tears the easiest...you can either notch or pink the edges for the finishing touch.


#2 - sewn dictionary paper + burlap letter tag.
I have numerous old dictionaries...I picked up one that was bound together with metal posts...I removed the posts and had hundreds of pages without a torn edge...I wanted interesting wrapping paper...I sewed six pages together, with red silk thread for extra pop.  All of the pages were from the letter "R".  To carry through the theme, I made another burlap letter stretched in a metal embroidery hoop (details here), tied on with red jute twine.






#3 - old map + vintage fabric belt.
I find old maps intriguing... something about scrutinizing all the highways & byways of a place...the allure of travel...use a map from a location that has special meaning for the gift recipient...wrapped up with another vintage fabric belt, complimenting the colors of the map nicely...a holly twig provides the festive touch.




#4 - kraft paper + drywall tape + holiday napkin tag.
I have mounds of kraft paper, courtesy of numerous thrift stores, wrapping my purchases ever so carefully...but by no means is any of this paper wrinkle free...I crunched it up even more and then ironed it flat with a dry iron...it smoothed out the paper but left the texture.  I used drywall joint tape to secure the paper around the box...love the texture on the tape!  Using another of my holiday napkins, I made a tag with a square piece of corrugated cardboard, embellishing the tag with white paint on the edges and a sentiment of "joy"...thin wire was used to wrap around the present and secure the bird tag with a couple of twisted flourishes at each wire end.









The Southern Man and I spent the day downtown Seattle, taking in all of the holiday hustle and bustle, enjoying a fabulous lunch and picking up a few last minute gifts at Watson Kennedy...off to finish up wrapping myself...need to get to the post office too!

Take a moment for yourself in all the hustle of last minute preparations...the season is meant to be enjoyed!  Take a minute and visit Funky Junk Interiors-Saturday Nite Special for lots of holiday inspiration to enjoy...and then hop over to FOLK Magazine blog for even more inspiring ideas...

worth a look...

Related Posts with Thumbnails