8.20.2011

Wired & wrapped





How many times have you seen something in a magazine or catalog and thought,"I can do that!"  How many of you go beyond thinking and actually do it...

I remember seeing jars wrapped with chicken wire and thought to myself just that same thing....I can do that...and finally, I did...

Over the last several months, I've saved lots of straight-sided jars - from salsa, from olives, from pickles.  I figured that straight-sided jars would be easier to work with since there would be no curves with which to contend.  After I amassed quite a few, I went to work...



I had a small roll of chicken wire...most likely picked up at a yard sale...perfect patina - it had lost that bright gleam of new wire.  I started with a length of wire that I wrapped around a jar to get a rough estimate of the circumference.  I also rounded up my lineman's pliers and my needle-nose pliers (two of my favorite tools)...I knew they would both come in handy...







I started by snipping off the rough edges of the wire mesh (with the needle-nose pliers) so that everything was even and straight.










here's the completed length of wire - all ready to be wrapped around the jar...















After I wrapped the wire around the jar, I just bent back the overlapping wire strands and neatly twisted them in place to ensure a snug fit and to make sure no sharp stray strands were sticking out.
















After using up all of the chicken wire, I still had naked jars...so I looked around...I still had some of the flexible aluminum corrugated metal that I used for my funky crowns...With my kitchen shears, a hole punch and a roll of jute twine, I was back in business.









I "corseted" each jar with a wrap of metal secured with twine...and then wrapped additional twine around the rim of the jar...the twine stayed in place thanks to the screw ridges.


















































I filled some jars with sand and a votive candle...another with flowers...
some of them I hung on a rusty tire display...
What I love about this project is that it didn't take any expensive materials or elaborate instructions...just a bit of ingenuity...eco-living at its best...
I'm linking up to Funky Junk Interior's Saturday Nite Special...Donna sponsors a great weekly link-up, oozing with creative ideas...lots of inspiration for eco-living!

worth a look...

Related Posts with Thumbnails