7.28.2011

Cabinet card curiosities

As part of The Altered Page blog hook-up, Buried Treasure, I'm re-posting one of my favorites.  The aim of Buried Treasure is to discover artist's blogs that you may not have seen...in the morass of the internet, its easy to get buried!  The criteria was to re-post a favorite past post...its interesting that the one I picked is related to getting ready for the Fresh Paint art show in August...of which I'm currently in the midst of prepping for this year's 2011 show...In the weeks ahead, I'll be posting some previews of my current work which is a take-off from these past collages - so please check back! 

But for today...visit The Altered Page - Buried Treasure for the complete list of participating artists...there's sure to be many gems waiting to be discovered... 



Over the years, I have accumulated quite a collection of cabinet cards.  I'm not quite sure why I collected them but the expressions of each subject conveyed something to me - I was curious about these men and women.  To get you up to speed, here's the definition of cabinet cards from Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cabinet_card

Surveying their expressions, I wondered what these individuals had to say - what were their lives like, what were they thinking when their picture was taken, what happened afterwards...  So I decided on an art project that would attach a story to each picture and embellish each assemblage with vintage found objects.  Since I have many old books including interesting narrative novels from the early 1900's, I looked through these texts to find the words that conveyed the story that I imagined from the photograph.

I've been having a great time - the melodramatic scenarios that I have chosen to accompany each photo are a hoot!  And the 3-D effect from including vintage materials in the composition adds a textural element.  I also like the fact that I'm using old frames that had been cast aside since losing their glass.  Here's some examples-
































and the close-up of the text...















































































These three beauties, and a dozen more, will be for sale at my booth at Fresh Paint, the art festival at the Everett Marina on August 21-22.  Additional details are at the Fresh Paint website at www.freshpaintfestival.com.  I'll be in Booth 81 - stop by and visit me!

worth a look...

Related Posts with Thumbnails